Friday 9 November 2012

Dialogue in "Run"

Crucially, I have decided to make my thriller opening without any dialogue except one word; "Run". Essentially this means that I will be using non-diegetic sounds - music - instead of diegetic. I feel that with my thriller opening this will be more effective in terms of building suspense because a sense of panic will be able to be achieved through the use of music. Additionally, during my thriller research I found many thriller openings used only non-diegetic sounds, which I felt worked more effectively than scripted dialogue. I think that if I was to write a script or use diegetic sounds the overall soundscape would seem fake and set up.

However, as previously mentioned I have decided to use one word in my opening; "Run". I have decided to do this because I feel that the music will create an appropriate sense of tension - which is what a thriller is supposed to do - and the speech will break this sense of tension. Thus, the audience are left anticipating what might happen as they have been broken from their initial emotions/thoughts. The Masked Murderer (played by Sean) will be the person saying "Run". It will be said with quite a rough/husky voice as I want the Masked Murderer to appear like a violent or psychotic man. Essentially, I will need to make sure that this is done well in order for the effect that I want to be correct.

One film that used solely non-diegetic sounds - i.e. music - was the Psycho opening sequence. Although I didn't particularly think the opening sequence for this film was very well produced I liked how the sound (combined with the lack of moving film images) created a sense of urgency and therefore suspense. I would like to get a sense of this in my thriller opening. Significantly, I am juxtaposing all of my other thriller opening research tasks by doing this but I wanted to challenge some of the typical thriller conventions.

No comments:

Post a Comment